Coping with Change – 6 Simple Tips to Help You Become More Adaptable
You may have an easier time dealing with change than others. On the other hand, you may tend to have trouble handling change because you become almost addicted to holding onto things as they are. Either way, the effects of change in your life come down to healthy and positive attitude.
When things are bad, it’s nice to know that they’ll eventually change for the better. However, when things are good, you need to have the wisdom to know that things won’t last forever. You can take heart, though, in the fact that everything will come around full circle back to good again.
How you cope with change can make a big difference in your life. You can take change by the horns and wring every last benefit out of it, or you can moan and groan and have a hard time going nowhere. The choice is up to you.
Here are some simple tips to help you handle change in a positive manner:
1. Focus on flexibility. Instead of focusing on change as a whole, it might help to focus on smaller things. One thing you can do is work on being more flexible. If you find that you expect everything to go a certain way, you’re likely crushed when things don’t go according to plan.
- Focus on dealing with several possible outcomes, even if they’re not your preferred results. Leave yourself time to come up with alternatives when things change.
2. Have a positive attitude. When you have a positive attitude, you’ll see change as necessary and good. Things need to change in order for you to evolve as a person. Focus on the things that are going well and remain optimistic that the change will bring even greater opportunities into your life!
3. Be forward thinking. Live in the present moment, but plan for the future. You’ll most often run into trouble with change when you spend much of your time worrying about the past. Things may never be like they were; they’re only like they are right now. You can do something positive in this moment by forgetting about the past and focusing on doing something spectacular for your present.
4. Ask for help. Remember that you’re not alone in life. It might feel like that sometimes, but it’s not true. If you’re having an especially hard time dealing with a certain change, it’s completely understandable, and you should feel no shame in asking for help. Sometimes you’ll feel better if you can just lean on a friend or family member for some support.
5. Look at the big picture. Sometimes, in order to find a positive mindset about change, it helps to step back and look at the bigger picture. You might be caught up in dealing with one aspect and it might be consuming all of your life in that moment. Take a breath and realize that there’s much more to life. Think about what your ultimate goals are and remember how you’ve dealt with changes in the past. Maybe there’s a life lesson that you learned that will make you better able to cope now.
6. Focus on things that stay the same. While nothing in life is permanent, there are certain things you can count on. If you think of these things when you’re in need, it just may provide you with comfort.
- For instance, maybe you’re upset that you have to move away, but you can take comfort in the fact that you’re moving with your family or that you’ll meet some wonderful new people along the way!
Remember that everyone is different; you might find a certain strategy for coping with change better suited for yourself than someone else.
Tell us about your experience. What works for you?